Friday, September 2, 2011

Pickled Eggs?

 

I decided to post another recipe, but not one that is very common. But I have to tell you that it is one of my favorite ways to eat eggs!

There are hundreds of recipes on the net for pickled eggs, and everyone has a particular taste they like to achieve using things like herbs, ginger, and other flavors. As well, they cook the brine in different mixtures and formulas. However, my recipe is a quite simple version that has a great southern flavor, and makes a beautiful presentation for luncheons, picnics, and other get-togethers.

Whenever we finish a jar of my homemade (you can also use store-bought) pickled beets, I always save the red-colored brine for pickled eggs. It contains cloves, onions, and cider vinegar, which produces an aroma that makes your mouth water. I keep it in the refrigerator until I'm ready to make the eggs.

So here's the recipe:

SOUTHERN PICKLED EGGS
INGREDIENTS:

6-12 Eggs, boiled and peeled.
1 Qt. of pickled beet juice
Cider Vinegar or other left-over pickle juices (only use if you don't have enough brine to fully cover eggs)
1 Quart Mason Jar with top

PREP:

Place boiled and peeled eggs into the mason jar, gently stacking them to fit the jar.

Pour beet juice over the eggs. If you don't have enough to fully cover the eggs, add cider vinegar or other pickle juices until eggs are totally submerged. (This will not hurt the recipe. The color of the finished eggs will not be affected.)

Screw on mason lid and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 days.

THAT's it! I told you it was simple. You may be tempted to try one before the 3 days are up, but you may be disappointed, especially after you taste one when it's finished pickling. I keep mine in the frig because they taste much better cold, although I can eat them cold or at room temperature.

If you are planning to serve these at a special occasion, start this recipe 3 days before your event. Three days is just right for producing eggs that have a white that's now totally a nice shade of light purple, but the yolk is still a bright yellow. When you slice them in half, they look really pretty arranged on a serving plate.

So give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. I hope you like them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment